Blog 4: It was not a dream!‎

I do not have much of a recollection of the first few days after my hernia operation. I was in bed ‎and was asleep most of the time. My memory was quite fuzzy, as I was on Tramadol, Codeine ‎Phosphate, plus Paracetamol and Voltarol. However, the text message exchanges with work ‎colleagues and my surgeon were quite useful. They were also a painful reminder of my experience in ‎those first few days. ‎

I have included these text messages in this post (see below) after having deleted any personally identifiable ‎information. I have also removed any irrelevant information. I have annotated some of the text messages with information and facts that are relevant to my legal case.  

Saturday 24th March 2012‎ at 17:52, I text messaged one of my work colleagues whom I will be referring to as Work Colleague ‎A.‎

He was the only work colleague who kept a regular check on me during the first six months after my first hernia operation. ‎I shall ever be grateful for his valuable advice, care, and kindness during those tough and challenging ‎months. ‎

At 10:30 AM on Monday the 26th of March 2012, I text messaged my surgeon.

Tuesday 27th of March – Telephoned my GP.

At 21:03 on Tuesday the 27th of March, I received a text message from another work colleague (who was also our consultant on-call rota coordinator) asking me to ring her husband (a pain management consultant), and she ‎provided me with his phone number. She asked me to arrange an appointment with him at his ‎hospital. I never asked for this help (a significant fact to keep in mind and recall in my future ‎posts). I shall be referring to her as Work Colleague B.‎

I called her husband, and he arranged to see me on Thursday the 29th of March.‎

At 13:57 on Wednesday the 28th of March, I sent my second text message to my surgeon.

Thursday the 29th of March – I asked the pain management consultant to postpone my clinic appointment with him.

4th of April – I text messaged a third work colleague whom I shall be referring to as Work ‎Colleague C.‎

I saw my occupational health consultant for the first time on the 16th of April. He reported that the ‎complication from my hernia operation limited my ability to sit for any significant duration and ‎limited my ability to walk and stand. He concluded that I was not fit for work, and he ‎requested that I see him again on the 14th of May 2012.

I would like to take this moment to thank my occupational health consultant for his gentle, kind, ‎professional, and overall wonderful attitude. His listening skills were exemplary.

My experience with the pain management consultant was totally the opposite! More about this in ‎my next blog. 

About the Author

Dr Adel H. Rateme
Retired Consultant General Surgeon and Oncoplastic Breast Surgeon

1 Comment on "Blog 4: It was not a dream!‎"

  1. Very painful to relive those painful and stressful days. Seeing my beloved husband in agony when I was helpless is heartbreaking.
    Reading through the blog now makes me very emotional.

Please leave a comment or tell us your nerve pain story

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.